Monday, June 18, 2007

School Culture

The reading for this weekend was on School Culture in our Teacher Leadership book. I completed the Happy Hour and sent it on its way to my mentor. Her feedback included a question that really got me thinking: Does my school's culture encourage collegiality? At first thought, Yes! We have no walls, which requires us to work more closely and respectively with each other. I have always felt that our school works collaboratively naturally. But on closer reflection I saw some discrepancies, with my own grade level in particular. It has always been one filled with tension and I realized we are the only grade level that does not plan together. I plan with one colleague, while the others plan individually. I coteach with the colleague I plan with occasionally, but the others do not. Why is this only happening in our grade level? Is is a personality conflict? I guess the next step is to devise a plan where I can help change this... be the teacher leader we are reading about. It is a small change, but one that could irrevocably influence student learning outcomes in a positive way...if done right! It's a scary thought and will take both courage and support, because I know how a few of the teachers on my grade level will respond to my encouragement for change.

2 comments:

Wantok said...

Very thought-provoking post, Shannon. I'm in a similar non-cooperative situation with my grade 10 classes. It's weird because my 12th grade partner plans with me every day. I think that sometimes it's a matter of chemistry that hinders cooperation. Sometimes people just don't "click." You've inspired me, however, to try to work past those teachers who hesitate to collaborate.
Good luck with your situation. See you 2nite.

Jodi said...

Shannon....is it an age thing. Having been in education for such a long time...I know that we always worked alone in isolation...with the 21st Century we must be thinking about collaboration and how much we accomplish together. Some of the older teachers look at time together as a complaint session...starting collaboration might mean one small project with agendas....